What is homeopathy?
Homeopathy believes that the body can cure itself. Small amounts of natural substances, like plants and minerals are used to make the medicines, which are believed to stimulate the healing process. Homeopathy has a vast scope in treating autism and the homeopath can up-bridge his knowledge, enable holistic development and overcome the challenges of children with autism. There is limited and conflicting evidence that homeopathy treatment can be used to treat ASD. However, some of the characteristics of ASD can be addressed using homeopathy management. It helps in managing symptoms of ASD such as obsessive behavior, stubbornness, mood disturbances, and occasionally associated sleep issues and gastrointestinal problems.
How it works for Autism ?
- Minimizes the side effects of anti-psychotic and anti-epileptic medications.
- Boosts the immune system to reduce the occurrence of infection
- Controls hyperactive, impulsive and aggressive behaviour
- Restores or normalizes sleep pattern, appetite and bed wetting habits
- Improves sensory dysfunction
- Reduces auditory and visual perceptual difficulties
Homeopathy can be used to treat following symptoms of ASD
- Motor coordination issues
- Impairments in intellectual function
- Poor attention span
- Gastrointestinal issues
- Sleep disturbances
An qualified registered homeopaths can practice homeopathy in India. Homeopathy is one of the common treatment approaches in India and there are more than 20,000 registered homeopathy practitioners.
Benefits of homeopathy treatment:
- Homeopathic medicines are pleasant in taste and does not have pungent smells; hence they are easy to administer to children with ASD.
- Homeopathic medications are made from natural substances and hence are safe to administer without fear of toxicity or side effects.
- Homeopathy medicine has also been known to be non addictive and is therefore safe to use for longer duration.
Side effects of the homeopathy treatment:
As homeopathic medicines are made up of natural substances, there are very minimal or no side effects of them.In some patients allergic responses can be observed, which are also a rare occurrence.
- Neeraj Gupta et al. Effectiveness of Homeopathy in Four Autism Spectrum Disorder Cases. , Homoeopathic Links, 2013
- Kamath S. Challenges faced in homoeopathic treatment in autism – A case series. J Intgr Stand Homoeopathy 2021;4(1):29-36.
- Philippa Fibert, Clare Relton, Morag Heirs, Deborah Bowden. A comparative consecutive case series of 20 children with a diagnosis of ADHD receiving homeopathic treatment, compared with 10 children receiving usual care. Homeopathy 2016; 105(02): 194-201.