Essential oils are a form of alternative medicine that employs plant extracts to support health and well-being. The oil is extracted from the bark, fruit, flowers, or leaves. The main method for extracting these essential oils is distillation, though various other methods. The oils capture the plant’s scent and flavor or essence. These oils are believed to have therapeutic benefits.
For several years, essential oils have been used to relieve all sorts of illnesses and promote autoimmune health. Essential oils are becoming an increasingly used technique for treating children and individuals with autism by identifying the oils that help maintain sensitivity and focus on certain things.
How this is beneficial for children on the Autism Spectrum:
- Essential oils can be incredibly beneficial for children on the autism spectrum and their families.
- Their relaxing impact can be quite beneficial for reducing stress.
- Essential oil for children with Autism has been effective in managing certain symptoms, such as hyperactivity, sensory overload, and anger.
- Improves mental concentration, focus, and overall mental performance.
- Boosts your ability to focus and concentrate.
- Kill bacteria, funguses, and viruses.
- Supports healthy body functions and helps boost the immune system
Various types of Essential oils for Children on the Autism Spectrum:
Peppermint is an aromatic herb in the mint family. Peppermint essential oil can be extracted from the leaves of the peppermint plant and is used for a variety of purposes. The main chemical components of peppermint oil are menthol and menthone. It is common for a child with autism to have gastrointestinal problems. It also helps to soothe digestive issues, relieve headaches, etc.
Lavender oil is one of the most popularly used in aromatherapy. It has antioxidants that protect your body from illnesses. It has a calming effect on children on the autism spectrum and can help improve sleep quality. It Promotes immunity, helps in digestion, and improves blood circulation. Lavender oil is ideal for bath time when the children are tired, stressed, or sick.
Sandalwood essential oil has many traditional uses. It can be used as an antiseptic, it induces relaxation in the intestinal muscles, improves concentration, helps calm anxiety and restlessness, and improves memory. Sandalwood essential oil has a sweet, woody scent that calms the mind and evokes a meditative atmosphere.
This Essential Oil is obtained from the peel of the fruit of the bergamot plant through cold compression. It is often used to reduce pain caused by headaches and muscle tension. Bergamot essential oil is highly touted for its soothing use as an aromatherapy treatment. Bergamot oil is used as a food and drink flavouring. This Oil is used to reduce stress and improve skin conditions like eczema.
How to choose the right essential oils:
Keep the following tips in mind to choose Essential oils:
- Purity: Find an oil that contains only aromatic plant compounds, without additives or synthetic oils. Pure oils usually list the plant’s botanical name.
- Quality: True essential oils are the ones that have been changed the least by the extraction process. Choose a chemical-free essential oil that has been extracted through distillation or mechanical cold pressing.
- Reputation: Purchase a brand with a reputation for producing high-quality products.
Precautions for using Essential Oil:
- The oils are potent. Always use as little as needed.
- Before using any of these oils, it’s recommended you test them first by applying them on the wrist or the bottom of the feet.
- Make sure to keep them away from the eyes.
- When not in use, essential oils should be kept in a glass bottle with a closed lid.
- You should consult a qualified aromatherapist or doctor before applying any type of essential oil to the skin.